Thursday, June 4, 2009

Does Relaxation Equal Greater Comittment?


If you have been keeping up with me, you know that my family has moved. Yes, the build up was long and painful, but the hard part is over now. Still without a home, we feel confident that our material items were packed securely and we know that they have arrived in our new town. This is all a part of being a military family.

We made a trek across our beautiful country last week, enjoying many stops along the way. It was not the smoothest of travels as we had a full schedule and, on one day, a blown out tire--both of which led to several extremely late nights on the road. Our final destination was Florida for a much-needed week of relaxation and time NOT in the car.

I finally decided to stop trying to continue on with my writing while preparing for the move. It has been about a month now since I realized it would be healthier for me to take a long break. A hard decision since I felt my momentum was really beginning to build.

Luckily, I miss writing. I can't wait to get back to it and I have ideas floating around in my head just waiting to pop out onto the page. In fact, I think perhaps I needed a break. I have found new inspiration and new desire during my nomadic weeks. I didn't know if I would miss writing or not. I was afraid I might enjoy the vacation a little too much--like I did when I had an office job and I never wanted to return! But here I am, sitting in a rented vacation home in Florida getting anxious for my desk and a whole entire office in my new home dedicated to writing.

Summer is here. If you are feeling frustrated or or your idea tank is low, I encourage you to give yourself a break. Take some time for your family, for yourself. Take a vacation from work and see if you can return with a renewed sense of purpose and readiness!

2 comments:

  1. I am often in the same boat with moving! You get overwhelmed with all that has to be done on the homefront and feel guilty about not writing. But, you have to do what you have to do! And when you get itchy to write again, that's the sign of being a true writer...just wanting to write. Good for you!!! You are making it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie. This is such good insight and I'm glad you've found the break refreshing. Good luck completing your transition. How exciting to have your own office to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete