Saturday, March 28, 2009

Seven Hundred Fifty

I was wide awake Thursday morning (oh, around 3). Besides enjoying the snow that had fallen since I went to bed, I kept seeing this number rolling through my head, "750." 

Wow.

A writer-friend submitted an essay to Brain, Child. She got a very thoughtful, but negative response. The editor told her that for every SEVEN essays they publish, they receive/have to reject SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY.

Again, WOW.

That really put "things" in perspective for me. 

1--Rejections don't always mean bad writing and certainly aren't a personal affront.
2--Someone else simply hit the nail on the head and I did not.
3--All that stuff Christina and Abby have tried to hammer in my head about targeting your market must be so true!

I hope the number dancing in my head will go to sleep now that I have written about it. But I know it will never be totally dormant. Each time I write a query or an essay, it will wake up and remind me that I have to consider all aspects of my chosen market. Even more so than I have in the past.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! That's good to know. Maybe. I have an essay idea in mind for them (who doesn't?). I don't know whether to be discouraged or not. At any rate, I'm glad you got it off your chest, and hope you were able to sleep :)

    ReplyDelete