Thursday, September 3, 2009

Signs


I believe in signs. Not the kind you find on the side of the highway, but the kind you receive while charting a course.

Example:

I've had my eye on fiction writing class for children for some time. It starts next on October 15. Should I take the class? I was not confident that I could give enough of my time to make it worth the money. So I didn't register. I waited for a "sign" to let me know if it was the right decision for me.

I got a sign. Almost simultaneously, my relationship with two different editors began to jive. I began getting assignments. My inbox was suddenly full. I realized I should follow the advice of my mentor and focus on doing one thing and learning to do it better and better (article writing) instead of spreading myself too thin.

Signs are all around us, we just have to be willing to see them. Are you open to seeing what is happening around you and using it to advance your career?

No comments:

Post a Comment