Sunday, January 25, 2009

Always Target A Market

I submitted an essay to Newsweek and I haven't heard back. Time is up and they clearly aren't going to buy "Time To Go." I didn't think they would, but you never know unless you try.

This is a good lesson for me. I didn't target a market. I just wrote from the heart. Now I don't know what to do with this piece. It just isn't a good fit for anywhere. I am so angry that I wasted all of that time and effort on an essay that had no target market.

This is my first real rejection, though it didn't come in the form of a rejection letter. The time simply ran out.

I will not make this mistake again, but I take it as a good sign that I am learning from mistakes and tucking them away so that I never let it happen again!

1 comment:

  1. I had the same exact thing happen--only last year when I re-launched my writing career. Sent to Newsweek with my first heart-felt essay, and never heard again. This happens to lots of writers, I'm just guessing....

    ReplyDelete